Best Funeral Songs for Mom
Mother bonds are unbreakable, even after they pass. Here are just a few songs that embody that bond. Be sure to add each of the songs to a digital playlist and share the link with the funeral director. We recommend getting a premium streaming service so you can skip the ads, like Spotify Premium.
1. “Don’t Forget to Remember Me” by Carrie Underwood
A mom supports you through all the hard times. She thinks of the little things you’ll need before you need them. In return, all she wants is for you to think of her. This song reminds us.
2. “The Wind Beneath My Wings” by Bette Midler
Moms are so gifted at helping you to achieve what you need without asking for much in return. This song recognizes the beauty of that journey.
3. “If I Could Be Where You Are” by Enya
Searching for a little sense of your mom as the days and seasons pass may never end—this song frames the search as your connection.
4. “How Can I Help You Say Goodbye" by Patty Loveless
Mothers are available to offer comfort and wisdom when you lose a friend or a husband. This song asks, who comforts you when you lose your mother?
5. “Mother Earth” by Joanne Shenandoah
This tribute to our first mother, planet Earth, is fitting for any spiritual celebration of life. If your mom had a strong connection to the environment, consider this tune.
6. “Hush Little Baby” by Joan Baez
Folk singer Joan Baez has turned a simple lullaby into the adult version of a mother's wish for her child in this rendition.
7. “Keep Holding On” by Avril Lavigne
Sometimes mom is a best friend, too. You can discuss anything in the world with your mom without judgment. This song remarks on the most honest friendship you'll ever have.
8. “Goodbye’s (The Saddest Word)” by Celine Dion
Celine Dion sings about how being strong and brave in the face of something so painful is necessary. Your mom would have needed you to be this way.
9. “Mama” by Connie Francis
Sung in both Spanish and English, Mama conveys exactly what you are feeling—that your mom is irreplaceable.
10. “Pie Jesu” by Hayley Westenra
If you are seeking an angelic song, try this one. As the vocals hit a higher pitch, the song carries more and more resonance.
Need more? here are another 21 funeral songs for mum
Please note that this post contains affiliate links, which means that if you download a song on our recommendation we may make a commission. See our full disclosure here.
- 10,000 Miles by Mary Chapin Carpenter
- All My Tears by Selah
- Angel Flying Too Close to the Ground by Beth Rowley
- Don’t Forget to Remember Me by Carrie Underwood
- Goodbye’s the Saddest Word by Celine Dion
- Go Rest High On That Mountain by Vince Gill
- Hallelujah by Susan Boyle
- I Can Only Imagine by Mercy Me
- In the Arms of an Angel by Sarah McLachlan
- Jealous of the Angels by Donna Taggart
- Mama Liked the Roses by Elvis Presley
- One More Day by Diamond Rio
- Remember When by Alan Jackson
- Send Me a Song by Celtic Woman
- Sissy’s Song by Alan Jackson
- Somewhere Over the Rainbow by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole
- Supermarket Flowers by Ed Sheeran
- There You’ll Be by Faith Hill
- To Where You Are by Josh Groban
- When I’m Gone by Joey+Rory
- You Raise Me Up by Josh Groban
The most popular funeral songs for a perfect send off
Ever thought what music you’d want at your funeral? It’s a bit like Desert Island Discs, choosing the funeral songs that mean something to you or say something about you. And finding the best tunes for a loved ones’ farewell can be challenging too.
Where once it was Debussy’s Clair de Lune that sent the funeral congregation reaching for their handkerchiefs, today it’s more likely to be modern funeral songs like Robbie Williams’ ‘Angels’, or Led Zeppelin’s ‘Stairway to Heaven’.
These changes reflect how more people are opting for a funeral as a celebration of life over a traditional service. If you’re starting to think about later life planning, finding out more about funeral plans and the different types that are available is a good place to start.
To give you some inspiration for your funeral planning, here’s a selection of popular funeral songs as well as some more unusual choices.
Poignant and uplifting funeral songs
As you’d expect, sad songs feature highly in most top 10 funeral song lists. It’s not hard to see why these poignant and uplifting qualities are popular choices:
Sad funeral songs
- I’ll See You Again – Westlife
- Over the Rainbow - Eva Cassidy
- Wind Beneath My Wings - Bette Midler
- Nothing Compares to You - Sinead O’Connor
- Wish You Were Here – Pink Floyd